Ten tips that will help you save your cell phone if it gets wet
Sometimes it takes no more than a few drops of water or even increased air humidity for your phone to break down for good or start having issues. Of course, the best option is to have it repaired through the warranty. But what should you do if this isn’t an option?
Here you can find ten tricks that will help revive your phone if it gets soaked.
- Take the phone out of the water as soon as possible, and turn it off immediately.Phone parts let water through in seconds, so don’t turn it back on until you’re sure it’s dry. Moreover, the water inside the phone may cause it to short circuit.
- As soon as you’ve taken the phone out of the water, take off the case and retrieve the battery. This will help lower the risk of damage to the internal circuitry. Carefully wipe the phone and its insides with a paper towel or a soft cloth.
- Retrieve the SIM card. You should wipe it dry and let it continue to dry until the phone is ready for use again.
- Turn off and unplug any external devices, such as earphones, memory cards, and other gadgets that may cover the holes or cracks in your phone (like covers and protective films).
- If you have a vacuum cleaner handy, use it to blow the water out of your phone. To get rid of the remaining moisture, blow each part of the phone for 20 minutes — and don’t forget to constantly turn the device over, blowing it from all sides.
Keep the phone a decent distance from the vacuum cleaner, or static may occur which is even worse for your device.
- Don’t use a hairdryer to dry the phone, even on its weakest setting. This will only push the water deeper into the device which is especially dangerous for the core electronic components of the phone. Warm air can also melt some parts of the phone.
- You can try drying your phone by putting it into a plastic bag filled with riceas this soaks up moisture, so there is a chance that all the water from the phone and its battery will go into the rice, slowing down the corrosion. Before you put your device into the bag, take off the case and pull out the battery. Put them in the bag as well.
This procedure takes at least 2-3 days. Yes, it’s slow, but hurrying will not do you any good. While the phone is getting dry, turn it over from time to time to help the moisture soak up better.
You can use silica gel instead of rice — that’s the little sachet they usually put into shoes and other clothes in stores. It soaks up water even better.
Check on your phone every hour for the first six hours while it’s lying in the bag with an absorber. If there is moisture on its surface, wipe it again with paper towels or dry it with a vacuum cleaner.
- Put the phone in the sun to let all of the apertures dry completely.
You can place the device on an absorbent mat or a paper towel, even if you dried it with a vacuum cleaner or put it into a rice bag. This will help get rid of possible leftover water.
- After at least 24 hours, examine your phone and make sure it looks dry. Check all ports, compartments, and cracks. If the device looks dry and clean, you can try putting the battery back in and turning it on. Pay special attention to any strange noises it may make when turning on: if you hear something, it’s because the phone is malfunctioning.
- If the phone looks dry but doesn’t turn on it may be due to an empty battery. Plug in the charger, and then turn it on again.
If charging the phone didn’t help, you should try contacting the warranty service department. Don’t attempt to conceal the water exposure, because the phone has indicators that show the cause of the malfunction. The more details you provide to the specialists, the easier it will be for them to find what’s wrong and repair your device.
Recommendations and warnings
- There are special kits sold in stores that are made specifically to ’revive’ soaked cell phones — you might want to buy one just in case.
- If your phone fell into saltwater, wipe it with clear water to get rid of salt crystals that may have got into the battery connector.
- Do not vacuum clean a wet phone — you can get electrocuted.
- It’s very important to dry your phone well before charging it.
- Don’t let your phone sit in a warm place for too long, or some of its parts may melt. Don’t heat the battery — it can leak or even blow up.
- Don’t try to dismantle the phone yourself. Leave it to the professionals — such experiments may result in a short circuit or chemical poisoning.